Similar to caring for a camping trailer’s tent fabric, caring for your RV’s awning fabric is equally important. Here are some tips to keep your Jayco RV’s awning looking new for a long time.
- One of the best ways to keep the fabric looking good and to delay the need for deep or vigorous cleaning is to hose fabrics off on a monthly basis with clear water. This practice will help prevent dirt from becoming deeply imbedded in the fabric. In most environments, a thorough cleaning will be needed every two to three years.
- When it’s time for a thorough cleaning, the fabric can be cleaned while still on an awning frame. For vinyl fabric – Use a soft brush and warm water with soap. For acrylic fabric, use a stiff brush and warm water with soap.
- When cleaning the fabric, it is important to observe the following:
- Caution: Do not use oil based cleaners or any caustic, granulated, or abrasive type cleaners on your Jayco RV awning.
- Always use a natural soap, never detergent.
- Water should be cold to lukewarm, never more than 100°F.
- Air-dry only.
- Never apply heat to the fabric.
Always allow the fabric to dry thoroughly before rolling up the awning to avoid mildew. Vinyl-coated polyester fabrics are mildew resistant because of a chemical biocide in their coating. Under ordinary conditions, mildew will not appear. However, in areas where high temperature and humidity are common, mildew can be a problem and may require the material to be washed more frequently than in cooler, drier climates. To clean mildew from a unit’s awning, thoroughly rinse the fabric with clean water and allow to air dry completely before rolling it up.
If you have further questions related to caring for your Jayco RV’s awning, please talk with your local Jayco dealer or contact our Customer Service department.