One of the greatest things about camping and being out in the “middle of nowhere” is all of the stars you can see. We don’t think there is much that can compete with the beauty of a clear night sky with little light pollution.
Now, with the help of technology, you don’t have to remember all of the constellations you learned about in school. You can download a stargazing app if you have an Android, iPhone or iPad to help you. From one of the top tech websites, Mashable, here are five of their top 10 stargazing apps for you to download. For the remaining five, see Mashable’s list.
- Star Walk – 5 Stars Astronomy Guide for iPhone or iPad – $2.99 – This app shows you the constellations and track moving satellites just by holding your phone to the sky. You can also look at skies in the future or from the past and tap anywhere on the screen to get a stars exact position.
- SkySafari 3 Plus for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch – $14.99 – This app is definitely on the pricy side but it’s a great tool for the stargazing enthusiast. It’s a stargazing database full or constellations, information on star coordinates, physical parameters, orbital parameters and the list goes on and on.
- Google Sky Map for Android – Free – This stargazing app for the Android allows you to point your phone at the sky and map out the constellations. It also has a search function where you can search for planets, grids and more. Simple to use it’s great for identifying anything in the sky.
- Astronomy Picture of the Day for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch or Android – Free – With this app you’ll be able to view a different picture of the cosmos picked by NASA astronomers. You can shake your device and the app will show you a random image and you can share your favorites with friends.
- Star3map for Android – $4.99 – This app is feature packed with constellation, satellite, planet tracking and a search functionality and social sharing. Always wondered what it’s like to see our planet from space? This app lets you!